Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Post I Blogged a While Back


Picture


Last Semester, as part of the IJM Longhorn Chapter leadership, I opened up a blog for local freedom fighters with a post of my own. I've copied and pasted it here.
Hi Everyone! Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Hannah, and as much as I discount myself, I am an activist. I believe that God has a heart for justice, which is Biblically based.  As a redeemed wreck myself, I am called to seek His kingdom on this earth. I don't know about you, but when you start looking at modern-day slavery, the view is daunting. We can feel so small, buried under a pile of our brothers and sisters with our heart bleeding out the brokenness  we feel inside. And yet the work of justice is personal, approachable - in fact, the individual is everything. It is unique to each one of us, and it starts with us when we rise in the morning. Empathy and compassion and mercy are the steps we take each day as we seek our Lord's heart and therefore his kingdom. Justice doesn't happen because I wake up and decide to be a great person, it happens in spite of me! I'm a huge fan.
     So today, as I open up this blog for fellow travelers far more talented and interesting (basically I mean YOU), my heart is to unambiguously tell you: justice and freedom starts with you. You have a story to tell. We are in chains and we are set free day in and day out, and we have the honor of becoming a co-laborers.
    Being an activist doesn't look like what I thought it would. I was certain I could never be considered one, and yet I continued to seek justice. Now I realize, I am an activist. And you are too, why, if you ever shared a facebook post about some social issue you cared about, then you are an activist by definition. So the question is not whether or not you can fight for justice, but whether or not you take the time to intentionally fight for justice? 
   Tuyo - Hannah Colbath

No comments:

Post a Comment